Wednesday, June 10, 2009

RUTS Town Hall Meeting - Comments Needed

Let's get some discussion going here. If any of us have been on the Teambuilder website, it's obvious how messed up the NCAA rosters are on the new game. Then, articles like this one pop up. Let's get some discussion going here. These messed up rosters could really screw up NCAA '10. Word is, that some of the teams' rosters are fine (I think Ohio State's for example), which other teams are really way off - Virginia has no freshmen players and Auburn's 3 starting LBs on the new game have already graduated for crying out loud.

Yes, all of these rosters can be fixed by gamers manually editing the files, then we can download them to our PS3s. But the NCAA football game message board folks are going nuts about this huge mess up. Renaming, editing positions, creating freshmen, etc...will take a long time to do I'd imagine. Once all these are fixed, it might not really affect RUTS II, but it will royally mess up playing a random online game, since you have to use the default rosters. Especially if the ratings are right for some teams and completely messed up for others...or if, say, a player's attributes are all messed up.

After all the great new features (online franchise, new equipment, in-game saves, etc...) that the Madden game is rolling out this year, I am kinda-sorta thinking about buying the Madden game. Am I nuts? I have always been a loyal NCAA gamer, only buying Madden every 3-4 years. The new NCAA game has some cool new features, and I think will be a better game, with better cpu defense, etc..., so maybe I'm over-reacting. These messed up rosters just stink though! And is this going to be a trend for every NCAA game from here on out (generic rosters?)? So, I'm just throwing this out there for discussion.....

Are we 100% doing RUTS II for the NCAA game? Or would y'all want to jump ship to Madden? (Think about doing the NFL draft, the playoffs, trading players) Since I like college ball so much better than the NFL, the NCAA game has always been so much more fun to play. I'm just throwing this out there for debate/discussion. I think the NCAA game is the way to go for now, but what are your thoughts?

As your commish, I feel it is my duty to offer this up for debate.

4 comments:

CJC said...

I'm heavily in favor of staying w/ College... just like it better.

I'm down for either though, and I think that the Roster situation will most likely be fixed by release time.

The Nunley said...

This is an interesting discussion.....is there no time to fix these problems?

I had both of them this year, but I played NCAA the most b/c of RUTS. I think Madden would be extremely fun. The game play will be better, b/c Madden gets all the cool new features. I would love trading and drafting. I think the draft would be way more exciting than the recruiting between seasons.

I am willing for either. We could look at the features and see. We could have a fantasy draft for our teams at the being of season one with Madden.

Boo-Yah

ehaag said...

There hasn't been a final word whether or not the "teambuilder" rosters are the final rosters on the game, but if they are, there are tons of mistakes.

However, this wouldn't affect RUTS II much, if at all, once the named roster files are available to download. It would only mess things up for playing random online games really, since you have to use the game's original rosters for those.

I am still leaning toward college, just because it seems like more people buy that game and it would be easier to get more people in RUTS II, plus the college game seems to be way more fun, year in and year out.

I am intrigued by the idea of doing Madden though, and these messed up rosters and with the extreme focus on this year's NCAA game being this dumb "season showdown" thing, I thought it was worth talking about.

The thought of doing Madden I think would mean these things for sure (some things are good, some are bad):
1. More competitive cpu games-good
2. Longer regular seasons-bad b/c we'd prob get through fewer total seasons
3. Awesome playoff matchups-good
4. NFL Draft...however, hears the bad thing about that...let's assume that if we has 7 teams in RUTS, we'd all presumably be near the top of the league, which means we'd get the last picks in the draft each year...this might take some of the shine off of the draft portion of Madden. So, in this regard, I think NCAA recruiting would be more fun, since we all go after the top players.
5. Trading players would be fun, with restrictions and limits...I wouldn't want it to turn into a fantasy football kind of thing where people are trading players left and right just for the heck of it. We'd need to put a maximum # of players traded per season.

At this point, unless some other crazy news happens, I'm leaning toward NCAA. The thought of doing Madden, though sounds a lot of fun, and it might be fun to try something different now that we've all been playing NCAA hardcore for a year. I'm just trying to think of every aspect. Also, Madden doesn;t come out until mid August, one month after NCAA is released.

I haven't bought Madden since PS3 came out, so I can't say first hand how the game "plays" on PS3, but Adam and Chavo can.

Let's keep this discussion going...

ehaag said...

Forgive my awful grammar in that last comment. It's early! ha!