Thursday, June 11, 2009

The Case For Madden '10



After some very good discussion between the "Four Horsemen" of RUTS (Coach Stu, UTVOL54, utvol27, and cjohnchavis), it seems everyone is very open to the idea of making the jump to Madden '10 for RUTS II.
Adam is 100% for moving to Madden, Andrew and I are leaning toward Madden (see my edit below), and Chavo, while still in favor of NCAA, is open to making the move. We can start recruiting others to join in soon!

That said, I will start posting some articles about the new Madden game, which might spark some ideas and discussion. The game looks awesome, bottom line, in my opinion.

The one negative drawback, would be if we CAN'T do custom scheduling. Which I haven't determined yet.

However, the fact that we can do EVERYTHING online, or even on an iPhone (yay Adam!) on this game is freakin' awesome! Edit rosters, trade players, you name it...everything but actually playing the game can be done online. We even thought about allowing 1 created player per team for each of us, using the exact same ratings, heights, weights, etc... that the particular player has on NCAA RUTS dynasty. For instance, I could choose Mark Ford, my WR, or Chavo could choose Blake Beck, Adam could create Scott Simmons, and Andrew could create Blake Miller.

Anyway, happy reading/viewing -
(edit....after reading these and watching the video, I am 100% in favor of taking RUTS II to the next level, the NFL!)

ESPN Madden '10 Interview

A Sweet Video! Wow! This is so much better, graphically, than NCAA it's crazy:


Here are the Madden '10 Team Ratings:
New England Patriots 93
Pittsburgh Steelers 92
New York Giants 89
Philadelphia Eagles 88
San Diego Chargers 88
Tennessee Titans 87
Indianapolis Colts 87
Arizona Cardinals 86
Dallas Cowboys 85
Carolina Panthers 83
Baltimore Ravens 82
Atlanta Falcons 81
Minnesota Vikings 80
Washington Redskins 79
Chicago Bears 79
Buffalo Bills 78
New York Jets 78
Green Bay Packers 78
Seattle Seahawks 77
Miami Dolphins 77
Houston Texans 75
New Orleans Saints 74
Tampa Bay Buccaneers 74
San Francisco 49ers 73
Jacksonville Jaguars 71
Oakland Raiders 71
Denver Broncos 70
Kansas City Chiefs 69
Cleveland Browns 68
Cincinnati Bengals 67
St. Louis Rams 66
Detroit Lions 65

Mix and Match Uniforms...Team colored cleats are also in the game!


This is a great interview about the Online Franchise Mode:
READ IT HERE!


I think Madden Lead Designer (and HHS graduate) Ian Cummings, will be posting a full game video to youtube today or tomorrow he said. I will post it on the blog at that time.

6 comments:

andrew said...

I am still kinda 50/50. The draft and playoffs and stuff will be fun, but one thing I would really like on Madden is roster turnover. Without contracts you just keep the guys for however long. And free agency is kinda a free for all, but if no one is cutting players except the bad ones (which will occur after drafts i guess), then it just makes the so called 'free agency' feature irrelevant. It would be a long and difficult process if we developed some mock process where we release players into free agency. And no computer logic on cpu trades is kinda dumb. There is a good chance I would want to trade for a player on a CPU team. Maybe this could be monitored and the commissioner would have to approve trades and provide logic in the human-to-cpu trades. But it just seems like the roster turnover won't be that much. It's the roster turnover that gives teams the ability to get better in just a year's time. If you draft a new class but your older players never have to leave your team until they retire, then there's a good chance a lot of those drafted players won't play, especially those drafted after round 3. I don't know, it just seems like we'd hang on to our good players, essentially making our best players the ones we will play with for 5 straight seasons.

However, if NCAA doesn't get some sort of good resolution for the roster, then this will definitely be the thing to do. Everything being server based is really cool. There are lots of cool features that sound fun.

I think at this point I would say wait and see what NCAA does about the roster issue, then we can decide. I'm totally open to Madden, but I wanna see what NCAA decides to do first.

The Nunley said...

We could try to think creative way to do free agents. Trades could be voted on. With the blog poll.

The Nunley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ehaag said...

I agree with your concerns Drew. I'm already jotting down some "rules/notes" for Madden. As the commish, I would have to review all human-to-cpu and human-to-human trades, just like I do for fantasy football, no doubt about it.

And we'd need to agree upon some kind of system to create team turnover. (The game designer said that in their current "test" online franchise, they require each cpu and human team to CUT 5 players rated 70 or higher at the end of every season.) This would take some time on my end, but would add some excitement to the free agency every season. And let's face it...realistically, we'll get through maybe 4 seasons, tops, in Madden '10, since the seasons are longer, and include the playoffs.

After reading all the articles about Madden, I am way more convinced than I was before that Madden is the way to go. I'm still trying to figure out the custom schedules thing.

I am not for doing a fantasy draft, but we could do that if you all were heavily in favor of it I guess. We can talk about that later.

Overall, I think Madden would be more challenging, more realistic, and a new feel. I was very against changing to Madden, but once I thought about it, I've changed my mind. Keep up the discussion...

The Nunley said...

I vote for Fantasy draft but with cash and draft picks I can be persuaded. I have Madden 09 and it is far more complicated as a game. i never beat anyone by one hundred. I think we would be challenged and not get as bored verse CPU. Boom

andrew said...

fantasy draft is intriguing. but it would be weird automatically not knowing which teams will be good ratings wise and who plays on what team. but it would have balanced teams across the board. hmmmmmmm