Tuesday, January 17, 2012

It's Official - Sooners Coach Gump announces leave of absence to join the cast of Survivor: Detroit


In a tearful and awkward press conference today, Oklahoma Sooners Head Coach, Coach Gump, announced that effective immediately, he will be taking a leave of absence from his head coaching duties to pursue another lifelong dream - conquering the mean streets of Detroit.

"This is a decision I have mulled over for weeks," said Gump, wiping tears. "Ever since I watched Eight Mile for the first time, I have thought, 'golly, it sure would be neat to tackle the streets of Detroit like Eminem did.' Now I have my chance to do that thanks to the great people at CBS and Survivor: Detroit."



Gump secretly auditioned 43 times over the past 2 years to win a casting spot on the show. Remember that mysterious trip to Eugene, Oregon? Gump revealed that quick trip to the northwest was all a part of his audition process, not a coaching interview with Oregon. (Coach Stu can breathe easy!)

When he got word he'd been accepted, he said it was bitter sweet. "I will have to abandon my duties with my team for the remainder of season 3," but I hope they'll have me back for season 4 and beyond."

"We (the cast) will be getting into lots of mischief and tomfoolery," said Gump. "I will miss my team, but think of the exposure this huge platform will give our program. Recruits will love it."


 Fans and players, on the other hand, have mixed emotions. "We are devastated by this news," said senior QB Drew Allen. "Coach Gump was like a crazy uncle to us..always teaching us right from wrong. I will never forget him, or the lessons he taught me...like how to properly apply ketchup to various things."

Other sports celebrities have been devastated by the news as well: Here, Here, and Here.

Fans in Norman were appalled at the announcement and wished Gump good riddance, calling for the university to fire him for abandoning ship after 3 consecutive losses this season.

Gump, whose Sooner team has been ranked #1 at some point in each of the first 3 seasons of RUTS4, has admittedly not met Sooner fans' massive expectations after replacing college football coaching legend Coach utvol27 3 seasons ago. Coach utvol27 won three national titles in 5 seasons with the Sooners, amidst allegations of reckless cheating and recruiting scandals.

Gump did however coach the past two Heisman trophy winners, and his expertise in the running game is something that RUTS has never seen before.

The Sooners have named Gump's son and current Quality Control Graduate Assistant "Peabo" Brycen Gump as Interim Head Coach for the remainder of season 3.

0 comments: